This post doesn't have pictures of my kids. Sorry. That's why I like looking at my blog, so this is going to be boring, but I feel like writing what's going on in my life. I am busy. I think it is a good busy though, so far. We moved to Providence about 4 months ago. I know some people now, I even have some really good friends. We live in an apartment while we are building a house. This is good and bad. I like to live by a pool. I love the ward we are in, and the fact that I don't have a calling so I get to go to Sunday school and Relief society and just take it in. I have learned so much since I have been here. The Sunday school teachers are amazing. My testimony of Jesus Christ has expanded. I can't remember a time when I didn't have a testimony, but I have spent so many of the last few years preparing lessons or music time or sharing time for Young Women or Primary, that I haven't been taking the opportunity to fill my spiritual well. I am thankful for this time I have had to do that. The bad is that a lot of our stuff is in storage so I don't have all my clothes or my piano, it's ok though.
Anyway about the job...I have had a "job" ever since I gave birth and that has been to take care of, and teach my children (along with all the never mentioned, under-appreciated tasks of motherhood). And if I had to grade myself, I would give myself a B. I try hard and care a lot, but I'm sure there are so many things I am not doing that I should have done. Also, I yell sometimes. I wish I didn't, I hate how I sound, and I don't think it really helps anything, I really need to control that and have more patience. My other biggest failing as a mother is one I'm just realizing...I do too much for my kids. They don't really know how to work, then when I ask them to, they don't and I yell at them, they feel sad, I feel bad...it's a no win situation. This needs to change, I even have a plan...I hope it works.
About the job I mentioned, I was planning on getting a job as soon as we moved here to help with the costs associated with building, decorating, and getting a down payment for the house. Well Sophie broke her arms and I basically had to be her arms, then it was summer and I would have had to find day care, I applied at one place and didn't hear back, then I read an email from a girl in my ward who knew of a job opening for a reading aide at Providence Elementary. I called her and asked if the job required a certain degree since I have an associates but not a teaching degree. She said it didn't and she called her friend who is the reading program director at the school. I got an interview and was hired on the spot (I put that in to sound like I'm impressive) and I went to training last week and started today.
My job is to teach a reading program to kids in kindergarten, first, second, and fifth grades. The lesson plans and script is already set so it is just carrying out the plans. Today we did a lot of testing of the first graders and second graders and I started right off teaching a group of fifth graders. That was intimidating, but I got through it better than I expected to. So I work from 9:50 to 1:10. That should leave me with extra time...but it doesn't.
I can't believe how fast time goes when I need to get things done. I should have two hours after work that I should have for my own amusement, but it doesn't work that way. There is so much to do in that time. I have to catch up on laundry and dishes. I have a lot of projects and paintings I have been working on for the house, and I don't have a lunch break at work, so I need to eat when I get home. And then sometimes I sit down at the computer and write about what's going on in my life on my blog...just kidding. I know as soon as the girls get home I will be answering questions about 5th grade math, 3rd grade spelling, and 1st grade reading...did I mention I'm the reading aide IN Sophie's class...we'll see how that works out. And then after their homework is done they all need to read for 20 minutes. By that time I should have dinner made. How is this going to work. I remember playing after school when I was little. There is a pool right outside that we could skip the homework and swim in! But maybe I will earn a B+ in parenting if I do these things with the girls.
Now onto my other new job. I am also teaching dance at Angie's Dance Academy in Hyrum. I teach 3rd-5th graders jazz and ballet on Friday afternoons. I have subbed the ballet class that is just before mine for the last two weeks. Sophie is in that class. It is hard for me to teach my own kids...it always has been. I gave up last time I taught dance and I didn't even have them in dance at all. Now Gracie and Kestlie are in my class and I have taught Sophie, I'm so glad that won't continue. She is just too comfortable telling me what her ideas are and what she thinks should be done. Also I started taking the technique class with the older girls on Thursdays and I LOVE IT!! I have missed dancing so much. Whenever there is a long break between when I have danced I get nervous and think "Will this be the time I try to dance and no longer can?" I can still do a lot of things, but there are things that are gone forever.
So aside from these jobs we have been working on the house. Garrett and his dad (thank you Mike) put up some wainscoting trim and will put in tile this weekend. I have been painting pictures and furniture to decorate our home and have spent a lot of time thinking about rooms and what will go in them. I hope it looks as good outside of my mind.
I better get the laundry switched and eat something before the girls get home. I hope I can do this...
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
That is so cool! I think you should try freezer cooking. So you can cook a couple meals at a time and freeze a couple. Then you have some more spare time! I think your an A mom by the way.
Christa, you are amazing. I love you so much!!
Wow. Your amazing. Yes you can do all this. I am so excited to see all that you have done for you house. Miss you guys.
That's fantastic! No working nights, holidays, weekends...so much better than other places you could have worked. I'm sure those kids will love you. I'm not surprised they hired you on the spot, because you are THAT impressive! :)
i loved reading this- straight from your thoughts un edited!! I miss you- you are so talented. All the girls in my ward have a job and I think- what can I do?! Im impressed with you!
Cant wait to see your house- mine is empty- I need to keep the momentum to decorate but I cant right now. Please post pictures when you are doing all of the other bazillion things you are doing!!
Love ya!
Post a Comment